What it is and how Maine will implement the changes it brings
Recorded: May 2, 2017 – The United States began implementation of UEB on January 4, 2016. This webinar will give a brief overview of what the Unified English Braille code is and the implications for school districts in Maine. We will review the Maine State Plan and how it is similar or dissimilar to other states around the country. We will discuss resources and do our best to answer any questions you may have around this topic.
Nancy Moulton, Program Director, Educational Services for Blind and Visually Impaired Children (ESBVIC)
Maine AEM and Maine CITE recording webinars are now being served using the Kaltura media hosting services of the University of Maine. For participants needing Captioning, we recommend enlarging the video player to full size and use the CART captioning that is embedded in the recording – see additional directions for using captioning.
- Handout of webinar materials –
- Braille Authority of North America (BANA) website
- Maine State Plan on BANA website –
- Paths to Literacy website
- Resources for Learning the New Braille Code on Paths to Literacy
- Hadley’s “Introduction to UEB” and “Transitioning to UEB” courses
- UEB Online
- UEBOT on-line training
- Australian Braille Authority Unified English Braille Australian Training Manual
- FREE Braille Certification Courses (National Federation of the Blind – NFB)
- Braille Transcribing Course (NFB)
- FREE online Transcriber’s UEB Course – requires password
- UEB Rulebook, Second Edition, 2013
- UEB Braille Symbols And Indicators
- UEB Guidelines for Technical Material
- Check Lists and Cheat Sheets – Vision Resource Centre – Victoria, Australia
- “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to UEB” was written for children learning UEB by New Zealand Teachers of the Blind and Visually Impaired as a quick reference tool for all those supporting children learning UEB.
- UEB Chart from Duxbury Quick UEB reference sheet from the makers of Duxbury Braille Translation Software
- UEB Chart from Aroga Technologies Quick UEB reference sheet from Aroga Technologies
- UEB Cheat Sheet from APH Quick UEB reference sheet from APH Training